Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bloggin' Through the Playoffs - Roster is Set

Hi folks, well, it looks like the roster is set. Here's a link to an article on Tampabay.com.

While it's not really official until tomorrow morning, here's what we know so far:

Starting Pitchers
  • James Shields
  • Scott Kazmir
  • Matt Garza
  • Andy Sonnanstine
Relief Pitchers
  • Grant Balfour
  • Chad Bradford
  • J.P. Howell
  • Trever Miller
  • David Price
  • Dan Wheeler
Catchers
  • Dioner Navarro
  • Michel Hernandez
Infielders
  • Willy Aybar
  • Jason Bartlett
  • Akinori Iwamura
  • Evan Longoria
  • Carlos Pena
  • Ben Zobrist

Outfielders
  • Rocco Baldelli
  • Carl Crawford
  • Gabe Gross
  • Eric Hinske
  • Fernando Perez
  • B.J. Upton
DH
  • Cliff Floyd
Honestly, I am little shocked that they decided to not keep Edwin Jackson on the roster. For some reason, I have always felt like he is the kind of guy who was really coming around. My fear is that this might be a big blow to his confidence because of how fragile he tends to be. Another absence, although probably having as much to do with injuries as poor performance, is Percival. I was there for some early games in the season when he saved something like his 1st 14 or 15 in a row without giving up any runs. The heavy metal music would start blaring when he came in and it was lights out. Too bad he's not there. I do admit that I was really glad to see Crawford in there. I think he'll be somewhat of a spark plug tomorrow night being back in the lineup. I would love to see one of his patented triples down the right field line.

I briefly saw an article on MLB.com via my blackberry that mentioned the batting order, but when I got home to make this posting, I couldn't find it. It might mean it wasn't accurate and got pulled, but here's what I remember about the starting batting order (of course Shields is starting on the mound).
  1. Akinori Iwamura
  2. B.J. Upton
  3. Carlos Pena
  4. Evan Longoria
  5. Carl Crawford
  6. Cliff Floyd
  7. Gabe Gross
  8. Dioner Navarro
  9. Jason Bartlett
I don't think I'll sleep much tonight! I'll be picking up my son Cade from school tomorrow about 10:30am and heading to the game with my buddy Smitty and his son Jacob. I honestly cannot believe we are about to go to a playoff game. What a magical summer!!!

Go Rays!
- Steve

No comments: