Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bloggin' Through the Playoffs - Whoa...

Nice title huh?

Is this what every game was like when Boston and the Yankees had those momentous series over the years?

To put some perspective into our fun-filled sports day yesterday... Of course it started when we didn't arrive home from FRIDAY's game until almost 2am Saturday morning. Then, up about 7am, played golf with my son and and my dad, back home around 2:15pm. Then, left at 3:45pm to pick up Smitty and his son to head to the Rays game. We got there about 5pm. We were there very early and watched a ton of batting practice and got Garza to sign for us... pretty sweet. Here's a pic of him signing a ball for us.



Then, the game started. Back and forth, back and forth, what an amazing game. We had some pretty cool Red Sox fans who had driven the entire night before from Hickory, NC to come to the game sitting behind us. I remember commenting to them in the 5th inning about how long that single inning took. Turns out, it was 53 minutes. I googled all over this morning and could not find a refernece for the single longest inning in baseball history, but I'll bet that would be up there on the list if there was one!

Last night was the single loudest, craziest game I have ever been a part of. Over 5 and 1/2 hours of intense screaming, yelling, throwing our hands up in disgust and finally throwing our hands up in victory.

As I said yesterday, I don't think either team thought they would waltz in and sweep this series. I think it will be imperative for the Rays to take game 3 in Boston against Lester. That would be a huge momentum boost and get home field back in the Rays favor. Then, if they can knock off either Wakefield OR Dice-K, we could get in a good position to win in 6 or 7.

The big question mark in my book is, "What's wrong with Kazmir?" The guy had 98 pitches in 4 1/3. He had 39 if I remember correctly in the 1st inning. I don't know if he was joking with us or not, but when we were at the game early, George Hendrick was talking with some fans and he actually said that he had no idea what they would get from Kazmir today because he showed up at the game in his suit, ready to travel with his suitcase. Did he not even know he was pitching? It seemed like Hendrick was serious, but he could have been pulling our leg.

Anyway, again, I can barely talk again today, couldn't wake up and make it to church after getting home at 3:30am. It's 10:45am and Cade is still sleeping...

Go Rays!
- Steve

No comments: