Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My scheme to fix the Rays' Bullpen Woes

Okay, so after taking a look at some stats and some recent highlights, the bullpen is letting us down a little bit, wouldn't you agree?

I don't think you have to pressure your brain too hard based on the picture to the left to figure out one part of my plan... Percival has to go. While I love what he stands for, since his leg injury last year, he doesn't have the leg power and drive to throw the heat past hitters any more. In his heyday, and even at the beginning of last year, he was in the low to mid 90's with his fastball, but most importantly, he had movement. Today, he hit 91 twice on the gun, but they were flat pitches. Now, you might counter that today Mariano Rivera wasn't even hitting 90 on the gun, but he is throwing almost exclusively a cutter which has tons of movement.

Anyway, here's the plan:
  1. Percival to AAA or release him
  2. Sonnanstine to middle or long relief
  3. Balfour to closer
  4. Price comes up from AAA and becomes the 5th starter.
I think some of you may have a gripe regarding Balfour as the closer, and it may be well founded as he has also struggled a little bit. In comparison though, you have to believe that Balfour has a better chance of becoming a lights out closer than Percival does. If Balfour doesn't work out, then go to a closer by committee, anything, I trust Maddon to make the right moves here. I suppose you could even let Price close to keep his innings down, a la Joba Chamberlain, but look at the trouble Joba has had converting back to a starter.

Now, if I might, a little sour grapes. I was one of the few people who was not happy about the Jackson for Joyce trade. I think Jackson could have still helped this team. Joyce just doesn't strike me as a player who was going to get much playing time. Especially now that they have sent him to the minors. So, the Rays effectively gave up Jackson, who tied for the team lead in wins last year and arguably had some of the best stuff on the staff for a AAA player. Okay, I'll step down off my soapbox now.


Closing thoughts today - I think the AL East teams are going to beat up on each other the entire season. Much more than last year. I don't expect the Red Sox to stay in the cellar, and I don't expect the Blue Jays and Orioles to stay at the top. It's going to be tight the entire season, which is why, if the Rays need to make a move, they should do it early because a game or 2 lost in April, might show up at the end of the season.

Until next time,
- Steve

No comments: